3 Pressure Settings
The Zojirushi NP-NVC automatically selects from one of three pressure levels based on the menu setting you choose.
Sushi rice is cooked at sea level pressure for a harder consistency for easier handling. Brown rice is cooked at a higher pressure level for a soft yet chewy consistency. Applying pressure while cooking helps convert the rigid beta starch in raw rice into alpha starch, making it softer and easier to digest. Rice cooked under pressure has also been found to stay softer for a longer period of time.
Applying pressure can be dangerous if not done correctly. Zojirushi has multiple safety features for a rice cooking experience that is as safe as possible.
- Pressure Control Valve (with Pressure Release Ball): Controls the pressure level during cooking
- Safety Valve: Releases excessive pressure in case the pressure control valve becomes clogged or malfunctions
- PRESSURE: Indicator on the control panel turns on when pressure is applied during cooking, and locks the lid
- Inner Lid Filter: Minimizes small particles from becoming stuck inside the Pressure Control Valve, Safety Valve or Steam Vent Set
- Whistle: A whistling noise warns that the Pressure Control Valve or Safety Valve is clogged and needs to be cleaned
Induction Heating (IH)
If you look inside the NP-NVC, there is no visible heating element.
That's because it uses induction heating rather than radiant heating. The inner cooking pan has a stainless steel inner layer. A system of coils in the base of the cooker creates a magnetic field. When the inner cooking pan is placed in this field and the cooking cycle begins, the magnetic field instantly generates the heat inside the inner cooking pan to cook the rice. Because the heat is instant, Induction Heating also allows for fine-tuning and precise management of the cooking process.
Platinum Infused Nonstick Inner Cooking Pan
PLATINUM PARTICLES ARE INFUSED INTO THE NONSTICK COATING OF THE INNER COOKING PAN.
The presence of platinum makes the water become more alkaline, and this in turn helps the water penetrate
the proteins of the surface of each rice grain. That means more water can react with the starch inside the rice
grain, causing greater gelatinization and enhancing the natural sweetness of the rice. Look for the PLATINUM
logo on the outside of the inner cooking pan.
This nonstick coating is also twice as durable against scratches and peeling.
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (AI)
The AI allows the rice cooker to "learn" from past cooking experiences and adjust the cooking "flow" to cook ideal rice.
- Cooks rice to the same consistency in summer or winter, when water and room temperatures may be drastically different
- Even after years of use, the rice cooker can cook rice to the same consistency as the first day you used it
This model also has a separate thermometer that monitors the room temperature, along with a thermometer that monitors the temperature of the inner cooking pan, to help collect data and aid in the cooking and keep warm process.
Keep Warm Monitor
THE KEEP WARM MONITOR MONITORS THE RICE COOKER AS IT KEEPS THE RICE WARM, TO KEEP RICE AT THE PERFECT TEMPERATURE AND MOISTURE. HERE IS HOW THE RICE COOKER
MONITORS THE RICE DURING KEEP WARM:
- The lid sensor detects how many times the lid has been opened and for how long, and calculates the amount of rice left inside the inner cooking pan. The rice cooker calculates how much heat is needed to keep the rice at the ideal keep warm temperature.
- The keep warm monitor alerts you by beeping four times, 10, 40 or 70 minutes after cooking completes if the lid has not been opened, to encourage you to fluff the rice to release excessive moisture.
- The rice cooker will also beep four times if the lid is left open for over 5 minutes to remind you to close the lid. If unclosed, the rice cooker will beep every 3 minutes thereafter for up to 3 times.
- Both beeps will not sound if the rice cooker is set to "Silent" mode.
Automatic Keep Warm
The rice cooker automatically switches to Regular Keep Warm when cooking completes. It will keep cooked rice at the optimal keep warm temperature for up to 12 hours.
Extended Keep Warm
Extended Keep Warm keeps cooked rice warm at a lower temperature than Regular Keep Warm to minimize drying and yellowing of rice. It is ideal to switch to Extended Keep Warm when keeping rice warm for a longer period of time. The rice cooker will switch to Regular Keep Warm automatically 24 hours after cooking completion. The reheat function will raise the temperature of the rice closer to immediately after cooking.
Reheating will take about 5-8 minutes. It can be used to reheat rice kept warm under Regular or Extended Keep Warm, to bring the temperature closer to immediately after cooking.
What is Umami?
Umami is considered the 5th flavor, along with sweet, salty, sour and bitter. It is also described as savoriness, and comes from the Japanese word meaning "good flavor" or "deliciousness".
What does the Umami setting do?
By prolonging the soaking before cooking, the Umami Setting of the NP-NVC gives the rice more time to release its internal sugars into the water. Once cooking begins, these dissolved sugars reattach themselves to the outer surface of the rice, making the rice taste sweeter when cooked. The Umami Setting also extends the steaming time at the end of the cooking cycle.
GABA Brown Setting
What is the GABA Brown Setting (Brown Rice Activation)?
GABA Brown Rice setting offers an ingenious new method of cooking brown rice that can augment its renowned health benefits.
The GABA Brown Rice setting "activates" brown rice by soaking it at 104°F for 2 hours before the actual cooking begins. Proper activation can boost the level of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), an amino acid that occurs naturally in brown rice, to 150%. GABA is believed to help lower blood pressure, improve kidney function and relieve stress.
Not to be confused with Germinated Brown Rice
Germinated brown rice is a type of brown rice that has been processed. It is a type of rice that must be purchased. The process gives it a softer texture and improved taste. It also contains increased values of GABA. Germinated brown rice, sometimes also called sprouted brown rice, may be cooked using the “Softer” menu in this Zojirushi rice cooker.
The Scorch Setting lightly toasts the bottom of the rice to a crispy golden brown, creating a delicious snack that is also a component of many regional dishes. The Scorch Setting is a special setting that cannot be used together with any other settings and rice cooked using the Scorch Setting should be consumed immediately to enjoy while it is most delicious.
To reduce the amount of steam to 50% of the Regular Setting, choose the Steam-Reduce Setting. This will help protect the surrounding walls and furniture when cooking rice under low cabinets or in small spaces. You cannot combine the Steam-Reduce Setting with any other settings except for the Rinse-Free Setting, and the rice you cook will tend to be firmer and harder in texture than rice cooked using the Regular Setting.
The stainless steel inner lid set is easy to detach and wash.
As you face the opened rice cooker, there is a lever located at the top. Push it up and the inner lid should come right out.
THESE OTHER FEATURES MAKE CLEANING THIS RICE COOKER A SNAP
The interior of the rice cooker is flat and can easily be wiped clean, and the outer surface of the rice cooker is clear-coated to repel dust, oil and fingerprints. Keeping the rice cooker clean not only helps the rice cooker continue to cook delicious rice, but also extends the life of the rice cooker. Plus, it will look good in your kitchen!
- Easy-to-read colored LCD control panel with clock (24H)
- Delay timer (2 settings)
- Interchangeable melody and beep signal
- Menu settings include: white (regular, softer or harder), umami, mixed, sushi/sweet, porridge, brown, GABA brown, steam-reduce, scorch, rinse-free and quick cooking
||Up to 5.5 cups / 1.0 liter
||Up to 10 cups / 1.8 liters
||120 volts / 1,240 watts
||120 volts / 1,370 watts
|Average Power Consumption During Keep Warm
Dimensions per Unit
(W" x D" x H")
|10-1/8 x 15-3/8 x 8-5/8
||11-1/8 x 16-1/2 x 10-1/8
|Weight per Unit
||Stainless Brown (-XJ)
Rice spatula, spatula holder and measuring cups
(regular and green rinse-free)